What is Cytotam 10mg Tablet?
cytotam 10mg containing the active ingredient tamoxifen citrate is an anti-oestrogen hormone antagonist type of medication. The tablets work by interfering with the effects of estrogen in the breast tissue. It can be used alone or in combination with surgery, radiation or chemotherapy to treat metastatic breast cancer. Women with a high risk of cancer, such as those with a family history of breast cancer may also use the medication to lower the chance of developing breast cancer.
tamoxifen dosage is usually taken 1 to 2 times per day for up to 5 years or as directed by a doctor. The tablets can be taken with or without food but should be taken with a nonalcoholic drink. Contact a doctor for the correct dosage and length of treatment as it will depend on the patient’s condition and their response to the treatment. The medication should be taken whole and not crushed, chewed or split.
cytotam 10 mg uses belongs to the class of drugs called anti-neoplastic agents. This drug primarily acts by binding to the oestrogen receptor and blocking the action of the oestrogen on mammary epithelial cells. This reduces the growth of the cancer cells.
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart, kidney and liver diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you were treated for abnormal blood clots or stroke.
- Tell your doctor if you have undergone radiation or chemotherapy.
Patients using tamoxifen may encounter unwanted side effects such as:
- Hot flashes
- Thinning hair
- Decreased sex drive or performance
- Joint, bone or tumor pain
- Vaginal itching, dryness or discharge
Contact a doctor immediately should side effects persist or encounter more severe side effects such as:
- Vision changes
- Mental or mood changes
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Irregular menstrual periods
- New breast lump
- Immediately proceed to your nearest emergency department if you suffer an allergic reaction. Symptoms usually associated with such a reaction include difficulty breathing or swallowing, chest tightness, swelling, skin rashes, and hives.
- cytotam 10 mg tablet is not always suitable for all patients. Always consult your health care provider prior to using this medication if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, trying to conceive, using any other medication (prescription or non-prescription), using any herbal products or supplements, or if you have any allergies or other health problems.
- The correct dosage and prescription commonly depend on the patient and the condition being treated. Do not adjust your dosage without the approval of your health care provider. This product is only for use as prescribed and instructed.
No special attention needs to be given for the storage of Tamoxifen, and it can be stored at normal room temperature.